Supta Vajrasana Yoga – Steps,Benefits,Advantages
Supta Vajrasana Meaning
The meaning of Supta in Sanskrit means ‘reclined’, Vajra means ‘thunderbolt’ and asana means ‘posture’. This asana improves our digestion and rejuvenates us with new energy.
Advantages of Supta Vajrasana Yoga
It is a simple asana that can be practiced after lunch or dinner. It is also known as diamond pose and is used for meditation and practising breathing exercise. Regular practice of this asana makes you stronger and healthier.
Supta Vajrasana steps:
1. Sit in Vajrasana.Place the palms on the floor beside the bottom, fingers pointing to the front.
2. Slowly bend back, place the right and left forearm and both the elbows on the ground.
3. Bring the head down touching the floor and arch the back. Place the hands on the thighs.
4. Try to keep the lower legs in contact with the floor.Seperate the knees, if necessary.
5. Close the eyes and relax your body. Breathe deeply and slowly in this position.
6. Now, come to the starting position.
7. Repeat the above steps 3 to 5 times and increase it to 8-10 times as you master it.
Supta Vajrasana Benefits:
1. It helps in curing digestive disorders and constipation.
2. It tones the spinal nerves and stimulates the thyroid and parathyroid glands.
3. It brings more oxygen to the system.
4. It brings courage and confidence to one’s personality.
5. It is good for patients who suffer from asthma, bronchitis and other lung ailments.
6. It increases the blood circulation in the brain.
7. This asana relieves one from backache.
8. It regulates the functioning of the adrenal glands.
9. It relieves one from constipation.
10. It helps in reducing the disorders of both male and female reproductive organs.
11. It helps in diminishing anger and aggression and relaxes the mind and body.
Supta Vajrasana after meal :
Vajrasana can be practiced for 15-20 minutes after the lunch or dinner.
Supta Vajrasana Precaution:
- A person suffering from joint pain should not practice this asana.
- Don’t do this asana if you suffer from high blood pressure, slipped disc, vertigo or are pregnant or going through menstruation and suffer from back or knee injury.