Pranayama Yoga For Thyroid
It has been ages since Pranayama Yoga for thyroid has been in practice in India. There are different types of Yoga and each has a different benefit. Different people have different needs and different pains and troubles. There are certain types of Yoga that cure a certain illness. Today thyroid is a disease that can be cured through Yoga. The prevalence of thyroid is more in women than men.The stressful lifestyle that we are leading is the reason for thyroid occurrence.
Today there are numerous treatment options available to a thyroid patient. Of course, any of the treatment would take time to show any result, in the mean time you can have Yoga to cheer about.So, add a few minutes of yoga practice to your schedule and see the results yourself.
How To Do Pranayama Yoga For Thyroid
One of the simplest pranyama to be learnt is Anuloma Viloma Pranayama.Hold the right nostril with your thumb and breathes in from the left. Now release the thumb and exhale from the right nostril. While doing so, close the left nostril from middle and ring finger.Now, breathe in from the right nostril. Now close it from your thumb and exhale from the left nostril. Repeat the same steps for duration of 10 minutes. Expand your chest during breathing and not your stomach. Do this breathing technique slowly.
Thyroid disorders are of two forms:
1. Hypothyroidism (underactive thyroid)
2. Hyperthyroidism (overactive thyroid)
Symptoms of Hypothyroidism:
1. Feeling lethargic and laid back attitude towards everything.
2. Feeling more fatigued than usual.
3. Feeling constipated.
4. You have a sudden weight gain.
5. Your face gets puffy.
6. Affected by hairfall.
7. Irregular menstrual cycle.
8. Excessive hair growth on the face.
9. Your throat starts swelling up.
Yoga Asanas And Pranayama that can be practiced in Hypothyroidism are:
1. Sarvangasana: It stimulates the thyroid gland to function properly because of the pressure effect and also stimulates the other glands in the head region.
3. Janu Shirsasana
Besides these Yoga asanas there are several yogic breathing techniques or Pranayamas that can help in curing Hypothyroidism. They are: Kapalbhati, Nadi Shodhan, Bhastrika and Ujjayi Pranayama.
Food Tips for people who have thyroid disorders:
1. Take high fibre food in your diet.
2. Reduce fats and carbohydrates.
3. Take lots of fresh fruits and green leafy vegetables.
4. Avoid taking non-vegetarian food, milk, milk products, rice, spicy food, refined and fast food items with preservations.
Symptoms of Hyperthyroidism:
1. Either you are eating too much or eating less. You are also trying to gain weight but your efforts are going through the drain.
2. Difficulty in sleeping at night.
3. Sweating too much.
4. You are highly irritable.
5. You usually are anxious and nervous about things.
Different Yoga Asanas for Hyperthyroidism:
5. Slow paced Surya Namaskars
Apart from Yoga asanas there are breathing techniques which can prove helpful in curing hyperthyroidism. They are: Ujjayi, Bhramri, Nadi Shodhan, Sithali and Sitkari.
Also, it’s very effective to practice meditation in both Hypothyroidism and Hyperthyroidism.Since, stress is a major factor for the occurrence of thyroid disorder, and meditation can bring calmness and relax the tense nerves in the body. The chanting of ‘om’ also helps a lot.