A calorie is a calorie—except when you’re trying to lose weight. The foods you choose to eat can make or break a diet.
For a long time, we have thought that eating less fat will make us skinny and thin.
Wait ………fat can help maintain our weight ? fat doesn’t make us fat ? can it result into a slimmer you ?
In one word Exactly !!
Eating right quantity and right type of fat can help us lose weight.fat is not something to avoid.it is beneficial for us in many ways. Dietary fat provides energy , protects our organs ,helps the body absorb and process nutrients and most importantly burns fat.
Yes its true that fat burns fat
Our body needs fat in order to function.” Fat helps absorb Vitamin A , D , E are fat soluble that means they need fat for digestion and absorption and they are very essential for our nervous system. Of our daily calories 25 to 30 percent should come from fat. Sure, research from 50 years ago found that saturated fatty acids, a type of fat that’s “saturated” with hydrogen and typically solid at room temperature, raised LDL (bad) cholesterol levels. But a reevaluation of that research has shown that they raise HDL (good) cholesterol just as much, if not more, protecting the body from unhealthy cholesterol levels and heart disease, says nutritionist and the dietic community.
Significance of fat
- Fat burns fat :Our body needs three kind of macronutrients carbohydrate , fat, protein in order to keep us full and get energy to carry out our daily processes.fat gives twice as much as energy then both of them.when you don’t have fat that means you don’t have fuel to burn calories.old fat cant be burnt if the new fat doesn’t take its place.
- Fat keeps you full :This macronutrient is not easy to digest .it takes longer time than rest of the macronutrients as it sticks in the digestive system, that means you feel full for the longer time and you don’t get an urge to eat.
- Fat makes us happy:Eating yummy food makes us happy.it boosts our serotonin level which results into a happier mood , increased motivation.
- Fat results into increase in muscle size:A research study shows that eating good fats along with an effective exercising program can increase muscle while increasing the protein concentration and muscular size of cells in our body.
The good Fat: Unsaturated fats
An unsaturated fat is a fat or fatty acid in which there is at least one double bond within the fatty acid chain.
A fatty acid chain is monounsaturated if it contains one double bond, and polyunsaturated if it contains more than one double bond.
Monounsaturated fatty acids also known as MUFA raise good HDL cholesterol and lowers bad cholesterol.they prevent belly fat.
MUFA is found in olive and olive oil, peanuts, almonds, cashews, peanut butter , avocados , sesame seeds , canola oil. Two to three tablespoon of olive oil a day raises the good cholesterol and protects from heart disease.
Polyunsaturated fatty acids: These kind of fat helps to keep your skin and eyes healthy as they contain Omega 3 fatty acids which also help strengthen immune system , improve your mood and proper function of your brain.
Polyunsaturated fats are found in many vegetable oils, including safflower, corn, sunflower, soy and cottonseed oils, as well as in nuts and seeds. The omega-3 fatty acids can be found in flaxseeds, walnuts and some fatty fish, such as salmon and herring, while omega-6 fatty acids found in pecans, Brazil nuts and sesame oil.
The bad fat : Saturated fats and Trans fat
Diets rich in saturated fats and trans fat increases the blood cholesterol level which may result into increased risk of heart disease.
Foods that are high in saturated or trans fat includes
- Butter , ghee, coconut oil, palm oil , cream
- Meat and meat products
- Full fat milk
- Biscuits , chocolates, pastries, sweets, cakes