Supta Virasana – Reclined Hero Pose
What is Supta Virasana – Reclined Hero Pose?
In Sanskrit ‘Supta’ means ‘reclining’, ‘Vira’ means ‘Hero’ and ‘asana’ means ‘Posture’.
Supta Virasana Steps
1. Start this asana by first performing the Virasana (The Hero Pose).
2. Place your hands by your sides.
3. Exhale and lean backwards towards the floor.
4. Take your weight onto your hands and then your elbows and forearms.
5. When you are leaning on your elbows, place your hands at the back (on the pelvis).
6. Now release the buttocks and lower back by pushing yourself downward towards your tailbone.
7. Hold this posture for about 30 seconds to 1 minute.
8. As you master this pose you can hold the posture for 5 minutes.
Supta Virasana Benefits
1. It stretches abdominal muscles, back muscles and thighs.
3. It relieves one from pain during menstruation.
4. It enhances blood circulation in heart and head.
5. It improves digestive system.
6. It relieves one from tired legs.
7. It relieves one from minor back pain.
Supta Virasana Dos and Don’ts
If you suffer from severe back injury or neck injury or pain then you should avoid this asana.You should not do this asana if you have a knee injury.
Related Yoga Articles