It is a common misconception that you can lose with exercise alone and no dietary control. You must burn 3800 Calories if you want to lose ½ kg of weight. Only 300 calories will get burnt with half an hour of vigorous exercise. Exercise is an important part of a weight loss program as it maximises weight loss with diet control and helps maintain weight loss in the long run.
It is also important to understand what type of exercise is important for weight control. Most of us consider a morning walk while chit-chatting with our friend as adequate exercise.However, you burn only 198 calorie in one hour doing this. A brisk walk or a jog must be supplement with weight resistance exercise like weight training. As a result of this you build up muscle mass.1 kg of fat in your body burns only two to four calories in one hour when you sit not doing any work, but 1kg of muscle burns forty to sixty calories in the same time.So, you increase your metabolism by constructing your muscle mass.
You should follow the following tips to help you with a resistance exercise program:
1. Include strength training and cardiovascular exercises: Strength training helps build and maintain muscles. More muscles will eventually lead to a faster metabolism rate as muscles utilize calories for their maintainance.Good choices include weight bearing exercises like push-ups, working out on machines or using dumbbells. Metabolic rates can increase up to 25% after a vigorous cardiovascular workout. This will help improve the heart and the lungs and also decrease the levels of body fat.
2. Avoid drastic dieting: If you drastically cut down on intake of calories,then your body start accepting this as a starvation test. It isn’t being fuelled efficiently.Eventually, the body’s metabolic rate decreases.
3. Set a scheduled eating pattern: Mismanaged eating affects the metabolism. Do your breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks timely.
4. Sip green tea: Green tea contains catechins, which boost the metabolism.
5. Lead an active life: If you lead a sedentary life, the metabolism becomes sluggish. It is important to increase your activity levels.
6. Drink plenty of water: Stay well hydrated. Do not ignore symptoms of intolerance (dizziness, disorientation, pain)
The hardest part of a weight loss program is to exercise regularly. I have heard common and some innovative excuses for not committing to exercise on daily basis.You should feel positive reasons to exercise regularly.Do exercise because you need it.