Generally we become envious with anyone who needs to gain weight. Most people are on the other side of the scale who wants to lose weight. But it’s a real challenge for those people who really wants to maintain a healthy weight or are trying to gain weight.Haelth issues, lack of appetite, fuelling sports, building muscle or trying to overcome skinny genes can be the reasons for needing to gain weight.
Being a little underweight is not a problem. If you are comfortable, able to function and exercise well then weighing a little less than your ideal weight is not a problem.However,if you still want to gain weight then do it the healthy way.
High Calorie Food Intake, but nutrition too to gain weight
To gain weight, focus on healthy foods. It’s not only about the calorie but also about good nutrition. The goal is to choose foods that are rich in vitamins, minerals, nutrients and calories so that each bite is loaded with good nutrition.
Start with Yoghurt, cheese, fruits, nuts and healthy fats.
Eat at frequent intervals to gain weight
To pack more calories into the day eat at frequent intervals combined with mini meals or snacks thrown in together. Try to eat six times a day with each meal containing protein, starch, vegetables and fat. Eat often and choose your food wisely. It will help you to gain weight.
Increasing Muscle Mass
To gain weight in the right places, the individual need to add sufficient calories and protein along with proper strength training. The individual should take a high protein rich energy bar, low fat chocolate milk or a protein shake immediately after weight training to give muscles an energy boost after the workout. Avid exercisers who need to maintain or gain weight should frequently have healthy snacks to balance out their physical activity.
Gaining weight after an Illness
You also lose weight when you are down with an illness and your lack of appetite reduces you to be a skinny person. During illness the diets are inadequate in vitamins, minerals, calories and protein. Drinking smoothies, eating egg dishes and choosing bland, mild foods is a good way to transition back to a healthy diet. These foods are easy to prepare, loaded with good nutrition and easy to digest. Focus on getting enough protein which is very important in recovering from an illness.
Tips to increase your appetite to gain weight
Here are some tips to stimulate your appetite.
1. Take a little walk before you eat which can fire up your appetite.
2. When you are not hungry, choose the foods that are comfortable to you. Dash up some spices and herbs that will add extra flavour to your food.
3. Liquids can fill you up leaving no room for eating food. Drink water separately to make room for nourishing food.
4. Try to take fruits or some other form of it like a smoothie to pep up your appetite.
Foods that are high in Calories
1. Foods with fats especially plant fats are good source of high calories.Nuts, almond butter, peanut butter, seeds, peanuts, avocadoes, hummus and oils are a great source of healthy fats loaded with nutrition and calories.
2. Animal fats can include saturated fats that can increase LDL (Bad) cholesterol.Therefore, first choose plant fats and smaller amount of lower-fat dairy and lean meat animal fats, so your weight gain efforts don’t increase the risk of heart disease.
3. If you have a normal cholesterol level then you can choose full fat dairy products like cheese with ease.
4. Drink high calorie juices and choose high calorie salad dressings.
5. Drink fruit smoothies.
6. Eat nuts for protein, fiber, healthy fat and calories.
7. Dried fruits are concentrated source of calories.
8. Eat potatoes. Mix them with cheese, beans and vegetables.
9. Consume stir-fried foods rather than deep fried foods in healthy oils.
10. Another easy way to add calories is to add canola oil or olive oil as a dressing on salads and soups.