Utthan Pristhasana – The Lizard Pose
What is Utthan Pristhasana- The Lizard Pose?
It is also known as the Lizard Pose. It is a standing Pose. It is a hip opener and stretches the hamstrings and thighs.
Utthan Pristhasana Steps
1. Begin with Downward Facing Dog.
2. Step the right foot to the outside of the right hand.
3. Bend the right knee so that the right thigh is parallel to the floor.
4. Turn the right toes out slightly.
5. Come down onto your elbows, putting a block underneath the elbows if necessary.
6. Keep the neck the natural extension of the spine, press the left heel away and keep the hips square.
Utthan Pristhasana Benefits
1. It opens up the hips, groin and hamstrings.
2. It strengthens the inner thigh muscles.
3. It opens the chest, shoulders and neck.
4. It prepares the body for deeper hip openers asanas such as the Hanuman Pose and Pigeon Pose.
Utthan Pristhasana Dos and Don’ts
This is an intense hip stretch therefore one should do it with great care. Avoid this asana if you suffer from lower back pain or sciatica. Drop the left knee to the mat if having the left leg raised is too difficult. You may also keep your arms straight if coming down to the elbows is too intense.