Suits are often advised to unleash their sense of style at workplace and not become conveyor belt models of gray and its myriad shades. Sadly, when it does happen the aftermath resembles a post-apocalyptic version of Vogue. But if you are in the process of breaking the cocoon, let these words not scare you. Follow these simple guidelines and you will never make a fashion fiasco, ever.
- Too much skin: People will know you hit the gym without you flaunting your legs in super short skirts or back in daring shirts. If you feel like feeling sexy and showing it wait for the evening to play peek-a-boo. Word of caution: Many have been fired either because of sexual harassment complaints or for being sexual predators.
- Too many accessories: Keep it simple, and minimalistic in design too, lest you look trashy. You want your work to stand out, not your jewellery.
- The vacation wear: Even if it is Casual Friday, keep away from flip-flops, tube tops, strapless dresses and linen (they crinkle easily) or flowers in hair! And the ULTIMATE office wear fiasco –the ripped/faded jeans and graphic T-shirts.
- Too bright for comfort: Never sport a fuchsia or tangerine skirt-suit or red pants. Use spurts of colours, like a bright shirt under suits or fun-coloured accessory or bag.
- Comfy over cute: Bring the two together for footwear, for instance, with comfortable flats. And NEVER are sandals and socks pardonable; not even for men.
- The Unkempt look: It looks good only in fashion magazines. In a professional environment, even casual should look sharp and fresh. Remember, how you dress reflects on your personality and ultimately your work.
- Lastly, keep away from heavy make-up and revealing a piercing too many.