Since grey hair is a symptom of improper protein synthesis, which is caused by different factors, its treatment too depends on the causal factor. There are remedies all about but there is no focused treatment for greying hair since the real cause has only been recently unveiled and research in this area is still on.
But worry not. Let’s take a look at how one can control the causal factors and in turn treat greying hair instead of just hiding them.
- Nutrition: B-12 deficiency, low protein intake and lack of folic acid lead to premature greying. Consult a dietician to understand your daily requirement and use pills or natural supplements to meet this need. Not only will your hair get their colour back, you too will experience an increase in vitality.
- Digestion: Drink at least 8-10 glasses of water every day to ensure you have regular bowel movement, as prolonged constipation is a known cause of premature greying. Include roughage in your food, eat right at regular intervals to keep ulcers at bay — a known cause of greying of hair.
- Stop smoking and drinking excessively; they also lead to stomach ulcers.
- Problems with your pituitary or thyroid gland can cause premature greying. If these problems are corrected then your greying can be reversed!
- Manage stress; don’t take even mild insomnia, depression and anxiety lightly.
- Hormonal changes also lead to greying. Women and teenagers with this problem should consult endocrinologist.
- Improve scalp blood circulation: Massage scalp with medicated oils regularly to improve blood circulation in the scalp. This will keep the root and core of your hair healthy, helping it regenerate dead cells faster.