Up to one third of the world’s population suffers from hair loss. Other than season al hair fall, one of the following are mostly the reasons for the condition: Aging, deficient diet, prolonged illness and strong medications, stress, hormonal changes, pollution and genetic factors. Wearing helmets and caps also increases hair loss as it strains the roots.
But whatever the cause of hair loss be in your case, it’s important to understand how hair grows, why it falls and what you can do before hair loss becomes traumatizing.
- Say no to junk food: excessively oily, sweet and processed foods are known to increase the chances of hair fall. Switch to a healthy diet. Include protein-rich food like kidney beans, black beans, chickpeas and green peas.
- Eat regularly and do not to indulge in crash dieting or starving yourself to reduce weight as it has a very harmful effect on your hair.
- Stay hydrated: Drink a lot of water as it not just keeps your skin healthy but also makes hair roots strong.
- Hair massage: Rub hot oil into your scalp for at one or two hours to restore the moisture. You can use massage your scalp with coconut, almond, neem, amla or olive oil.
- Beat stress: Stress is one of the biggest reasons why people lose hair. Try to control it with meditation, yoga and breathing exercises. Also, exercise for an hour at least every alternate day; exercise releases endorphins which reduces anxiety and alleviates mood.
- General hair care: Wash your hair at least twice a week and more if you go out a lot for work. Avoid taking hot water baths as hot water opens the pores, making your hair follicles brittle, leading to hair fall. Use a thick hair brush and do not to comb hair roughly. If you have long hair, then avoid tying your hair back tightly. Please avoid indulging in a lot of hair styling. Trim your hair regularly to avoid split ends making hair brittle.
- Choose a healthy lifestyle: Get ample sleep as insufficient sleep leads to stress. Rethink your caffeine intake as it depletes your body of natural nutrients. And, say no to smoking and alcohol.