Since ages,pulses have been an essential part of our diet.They are extremely rich in Vitamin B complex,protein,carbohydrates,fibre and are low in fat.Inclusion of pulses in diet on daily basis keeps constipation at bay and the skin glowing.They can also supplement as a good beauty aid which helps one to keep the body beautiful.Right from the tip of your hair to the nip of your toes,pulses can be used in variety of ways.
Hair Care at home:
- Prepare a paste of boiled black gram and mix it with half teaspoon fenugreek powder.Apply this mixture throughout the length of your hair and leave on for half an hour.Weekly application of this hair mask will make your hair thick,strong and beautiful.
- To reduce hairfall,mix equal proportions of red gram and black gram paste and apply on hair.
- Make a paste of black gram dal and green gram dal and apply on your hair.Leave it on for one hour and rinse.It will make your hair healthy,strong and silky.
Home made Face Packs :
- Gram flour can be used to make excellent face packs either when used alone or mixed with other ingredients.Application of gram flour paste can make your face glowing.
- For those who suffer from pigmentation problem,prepare your own face pack using gram flour at home.Make a paste of 6 teaspoons of gram flour and one and a half teaspoon yoghurt or milk,and apply this mixture everyday for visible results.
- Preventing wrinkles has never been so easy.Mix two spoons of yoghurt with gram flour and apply this paste on your face.You will feel your skin tighten.
- For pimples and acne,prepare a pack by soaking lentils in water for 10 hours,add milk to it and grind to a paste.Apply this mixture on your face twice a day and get a pimple-free smooth skin.
- A face pack of gram flour and rose water will bring shine but in a non-greasy manner.
Natural Body Care:
- For radiant arms and legs you would need another ingredient along with pulses.Make a paste of roasted lentils and orange peel with milk and apply on your body.Your skin will start glowing.
- Mix gram flour paste with milk and apply on your body for 15 minutes or more.It will keep your skin healthy and help get rid of all skin allergies.
- A paste of orange dal can be used externally for non-healing wounds.
Homemade Scrubs :
Ground orange dal to a fine powder and sieve.Store it in an air tight container and use it occasionally.If you find the mixture too harsh the you can soften its texture by mixing corn flour or chickpea flour.You can use this powder in numerous ways:-
- You can use the mixture with honey and milk as body scrubs while in shower.
- It can be used as face scrub once a week for normal to dry skin,and twice a week for oily skin.
- Also,other ingredients like dried tulsi leaves,rose petals or orange peels make the mixture a revitalizing scrub.They give out a distinct smell to the scrub making it refreshing.
Thus,use lentils daily not only for eating but for making your body also beautiful.
‘Chandan’ or sandalwood has a natural cooling power that can soothe away all your tension and rid you of your headache. Traditionally used in India and China for its sedating and antiseptic powers,sandalwood contains high amounts of alpha abd beta-santalol,elements that possess antibacterial and relaxing agents.
Benefits of Sandalwood powder and oil :
Mainly found in Karnataka,sandalwood is used in two forms – powder and oil.The powder form is used as a coolant by mixing it with cold water or rose water and creating a paste.Apply it on your forehead,and it cools away your tensions.And if you have skin that is stressed because of pollution,dirt or is just stiff,apply the paste on your face and let it dry before washing it off with cold water. Sandalwood paste is also effective on burns.It is both antiseptic and cools the burnt area fast.It is used in many skin care solutions.
Here are some fantastic solutions incorporating Sandalwood for your specific beauty needs:-
- Glowing Face : For glowing skin,massage your face with a mix of a teaspoon of milk and honey.Then with a teaspoon of almond paste and a teaspoon of sandalwood paste,mix together the juice of a lemon and some mashed papaya.Scrub your face with it in slow circular motion. Ultimately this will cleanse your face and add a glow.
- No more tanning : To remove a suntan,make a paste of four teaspoons of sandalwood powder,five teaspoons of grated coconut and two teaspoons of almond oil.Mix together and apply on the exposed areas.To help remove tan on the arms,massage with sandalwood-based cream and apply a paste of a mix of ‘multani mitti’ and sandalwood powder.
- Shining Skin : For a glowing skin,apply a paste made from one teaspoon each of sandalwood powder and turmeric mixed with milk.When it becomes dry,wash off with warm water to find a fresh face.
- Killing Pimples : Wipe your skin with rose and camphor water.Follow it up by rubbing tomato halves on the affected areas.This will reduce the oiliness.Also apply a mask of sandalwood paste to which a piece of camphor has been added.
- Silky Hair : Mix three tablespoons of olive oil with three drops of sandalwood oil.Then apply this solution to damp hair.Wrap hair in a towel and leave it for 15 minutes.Rinse and enjoy the smooth and soft hair.
- Rejuvenation of Dry Skin : To rejuvenate dry skin,apply a paste of honey,olive oil,turmeric and sandalwood.
- As a perfume : Mix seven drops of sandalwood oil,four drops of rose oil with 100ml of jojoba oil.Keep it in a bottle and let it mellow for few weeks.Ude the perfume in small quantities on pulse points such as wrists,behind the ears and knees.
- To treat marks : To treat marks ,take a cup of both red and white sandalwood powder and half cup of oatmeal.Mix with a little milk and rose water and scrub all over face and body,three times a week,until marks fade.
Sandalwood is a great natural solution for calming the mind and making your body beautiful.
Cities around the world are telling the ladies to keep healthy and sexy by taking charge and using female contraceptives.With a huge variety already in the market,women no longer have to depend on men to look after this important part of any couple’s life.
Female Condom : The entire world is buzzing with the news of the women’s condoms.It is basically a very thin but strong sheath or pouch with one open end and one closed polyurethane ring that is inserted in the vagina during sex.It is the only self initiated preventive method that not only helps you to avoid pregnancy but also prevents contraction of other STDs. So take control and start enjoying sex in a whole new way.
Contraceptive Pill : Still the most popular contraception used by,the oral contraceptive pills contain a combination of oestrogen and progesterone.It not only prevents ovaries from releasing eggs,but also thickens the cervical mucus to block sperm while altering the endometrial lining to prevent implantation.This is very effective in preventing pregnancy and also makes menses regular and even reduces the risk of pelvic disease.But it may cause nausea and weight gain.
Diaphragm : The diaphragm is a soft,shallow rubber dome that fits inside the vagina and prevents the sperm from entering the uterus.It is filled with spermicide,so that if by any chance the sperm enters the cervix they are rendered inactive.The diaphragm must be placed and positioned by a trained nurse or a doctor.It is 85%effective and also protects from pelvic inflations,infections and STDs.
Spermicide : Spermicide is available in the form of gels,creams,foams or suppositories and is basically Nonoxynol-9 or Octoxynol.However,they are not efficient when used alone and have to be teamed up with some other form of contraception to provide complete protection.Moreover,some women can also have allergic reaction to it.
Intra-Uterine Device (IUD) : It is a device containing barium sulphate and sometimes copper,and is placed inside the womb.It either prevents fertilization of the egg or changes the uterus lining in such a way that the egg is unable to implant.It can remain effective for as long as five to ten years to as short as one year.It is a good cost effective way but is not very effective as far as preventing STDs go.
Thus,choose your pick and play it safe in your relationship.
No one wants to arrive at their holiday destination looking tired and disordered.Due to long flights,flight delays and time differences the traveler feels weary,blurry-eyed from one’s compact.But not any more.There are ways to stay fresh and keep your skin looking amazing no matter how delayed is your flight.Check them out…
Moisturize your Skin
The reason why your skin feels dry during your flight is because the pressurized cabin air sucks moisture from the skin.The longer the flight,the drier your skin feels.Therefore,use a heavy moisturizer,like coco butter for the body.Since your hands are also exposed throughout the flight,it’s good idea to keep a hand cream.Use a heavier moisturizer than what you would normally use for your face and follow up with a matte powder.
Your skin will get little shiny because of the moisturizer and hence you need to matte it down with a light-weight matte compact powder. Another way to deal with in-flight dehydration is to drink lots of water before and during the flight.Drink at least 2 litres of water throughout your flight and more if the flight is longer.Stay away from alcohol completely,before and during the flight as this will further cause dehydration and dryness.
Due to dry cabin air,your hair also faces difficulty.The most well kept hair can turn frizzy and unmanageable.Use a heavy conditioner to deal with frizziness.Another way to make sure your hairstays in place when you land is to keep it loosely tied throughout the journey.This along with the heavy conditioner guarantees clean bouncy shiny hair on reaching your destination.
It’s best to keep make-up to the minimal,especially on longer journeys. While you may or may not use lipstick,a good lip balm is a must to keep your lips from drying and cracking.
Travel Beauty Check List
- Miniatures of your favourite beauty products.
- Eye masks,shawl and socks to keep you warm.
- An extra fresh pair of clothing in your hand baggage to feel fresh.
- No matter what your means of travel,the air conditioner will have the same effect on your skin.Thus,always keep a small moisturizer and lip balm in your hand baggage to keep you looking fresh.
The trend in eye make up is ever evolving and, like always,you want to experiment with something that,according to you,may look truly amazing and bring out your features beautifully.However,all that looks good on the fashion runway might not look good on you,especially on your big night.We tell you how to try the Smokey eyes-look for your wedding without looking like a vampire.Before getting started,it is necessary for you to understand the true shape of your eyes.
The smokey eyed look is something that works on every type and shape of eyes.From the big doe-eyed beauty,deep-set eyes to the almond eyed,the look works on every type.The look works equally well on dusky and rosy pink skin.Though,primarily black is the often chosen colour,you can opt for a deep-purple or a navy blue.Even metallic shades of a brownish gold,bronze and an ashen grey work fantastically.Try a beautiful black with a dark shimmery blue,or a bottle green.You can even go for a mahogany red.
For mastering the Smokey-eye technique,the following steps would help you :-
- Getting your Eyes ready: Apply a light shade of concealer to the under eye area and all over the top lid.
- Using the Liner: Use an eye pencil to line both the top and bottom rims.If yo have small eyes,apply liner starting from the middle of the under eye to the outside of the eye.If you have large eyes,use the liner from corner to corner.
- Adding the Shadow: Smoothen out the edges of the eye-pencil line through a eye-shadow brush.Apply a dark shadow using a sponge-tip applicator,smudge brush-over the penciled area.The shadow helps to set the look.
- The Final Touch: Apply a lighter eye-shadow in a neutral tone with a larger eye-shadow brush.This will give a perfect blended look.
- Curl your Lashes: It’s not all about eye-shadow,when one creates smokey eyes,it’s the overall look.While you want to use the correct amount of eye shadow at the right place it is important to give equal attention to eye lashes.So,curling your eye lashes will surely make your eyes stand out.
- Applying Mascara: After curling your eyelashes,you would like to use mascara.Generally to hold the curl better it is wise to use a waterproof mascara.It’s good to use on special occasions.
- Cleaning up the eye territory: Clean up any areas that are smeared because of mascara.Brush away any extra shadow that has fallen on the under eyes.
If you decide to go with Smokey eyes,remember to keep the rest of your make up subtle.
Today “friendly” bacteria are added to warm milk to ferment and thicken it and give it the distinct tang of yogurt.It is not a method to preserve milk anymore; yoghurt is universally popular.Try plain yoghurt made from whole,skimmed,low-fat or non-fat milk,sans flavouring.A healthier more recent alternative is bio-yoghurt,made with new bacteria and believed to help digestion.
The milk before being curdled,must be boiled for a while and then cooled to lukewarm.The yoghurt’s flavor and aroma depends on the milk’s freshness and firmness.The time it takes to set varies according to the season. With so much diversity in Yoghurt’s flavouring,the simple plain yoghurt without any flavor is very popular with women and men both, when it comes to help body and as well as skin.
Eat Yogurt for a healthy Body
It is not often that good taste and good health go together,but yoghurt is a rare example.It’s good for those who hate milk or are lactose intolerant.Yoghurt’s live culture contains enzymes that help break down lactose inside the intestine,making it easier to digest than milk and apt for sensitive digestive systems.It is rich in protein,calcium,potassium and B Vitamins.Its good bacteria keep the intestinal system healthy by checking the growth of harmful bacteria.And experts suggest more reasons for a daily dose of yoghurt because:-
- It boosts immunity.
- It soothes and cures ulcers,burns and cuts inside the mouth.
- It can work as an antibacterial,anti-cancer agent.
- It can help reduce colds and respiratory infections.
- It can ward off diarrhea and constipation.
- It has been linked with longevity.
- It is low in fat.
- It can combat osteoporosis with its high calcium content.
- It cures digestive disorders.
- It can benefit in conditions like bacterial infections,gingivitis,fungal infections,high cholesterol,burning and itching in the rectum etc.
Benefits of Yogurt on the Skin
If you are full,use the remaining plain and unflavoured yoghurt to look good.
- Apply it to the faceto rejuvenate dull,tired skin.
- Blend it with freshly squeezed orange or lemon juice for a refreshing cleanser for the face and neck.
- Mix it with lemon juice and apply to rough palms and heels to soften them.It is also good for the nails.
- Make a scrub with oatmeal for softer,brighter skin.
- Use a pack of stale chapatti,lemon juice,sugar and creamy yoghurt on rough hands.Scrub off with milk for softer smoother hands.
- Mix yoghurt with lentil paste for an instant glow face and neck pack.
- Blend it with egg white,multani mitti and honey to nourish,cleanse,tone and moisturize the face and neck.
- Blend it with honey to condition and strengthen dry hair.
- Stir it with honey for a pack to moisturize and soothe summer skin.Add lemon juice for oily skin.
- Apply it on itchy or dandruff-infected scalp,right to the hair roots for quicker relief.Wash it off completely after 20 minutes.
- Use a Yoghurt compress to soothe a skin irritation.
Thus yoghurt’s “friendly” bacteria is not only good for one’s digestive system but also good for a radiant skin glow.
The winter season causes our skin’s natural moisturizer, sebum to dissipate because of climatic changes,which is why you may find your skin little stretchy.The key to protect your skin from dryness and getting chapped is to moisturize it on a daily basis. Not only will this make your skin soft and supple,it also helps to avoid premature ageing of skin.
How to choose a moisturizer ?
How do you select the right moisturizer? Here are some hints to pick the right kind for your skin.
It is a common misconception that moisturizers actually hydrate the skin.The truth is,moisturizers act by locking in the skin’s own moisture to prevent dryness and cracking.The more oil a moisturizer contains,the more effective it is in protecting your skin.
Types of moisturizer ?
Usually moisturizers are classified into two types:-Oil-in-water and water-in-oil emulsions.The moisturizer you select should suit your skin type.For normal skin,a water based moisturizer containing a little oil is suitable.For oily skin always use an oil-free product.For combination skin, one needs to use an oil-free product on greasy areas and a light moisturizer on the normal to dry areas.Dry skin may need only a moisturizer whereas a very dry skin may benefit from a greasy lotion two to three times a day.Dry skin lacks natural oils and plant-oil based products will help to set this imbalance right.
Check the label on your moisturizer.Go for the most natural one.Stay away from scented products;if you must use such a product,make sure the fragrance is at the bottom of the ingredient list.This means it isn’t one of the main ingredients.
When to use a moisturizer ?
A moisturizer is best applied regularly and liberally twice a day. Moisturizers are most effective when they are applied to moist skin,for example following a bath.Always use an upward circular motion to apply the moisturizer on your skin,making sure not to pull it or stretch it harshly. Do not apply the moisturizer by first spreading it on the palms of your hands and then smearing it on your face.This reduces the amount of product that actually reaches your face. Instead take a little on your fingertips and gently apply to your skin.
Thus, picking up the right moisturizer and applying it in the right manner on your face will not only keep the skin hydrated but will also help to keep premature ageing at bay.
- Home-made Moisturizer For Dry Skin : Add half a teaspoon of rose water to one teaspoon of honey and gently apply to the face.Leave for 15 to 20 minutes and then wash off with lukewarm water.Honey moisturizes and soothes the dry skin and it’s gentle enough for daily use.Massaging your face regularly with almond or olive oil works wonder for dry skin.
- Home-made Moisturizer For Normal Skin: Mash one-fourth of a ripe banana.Apply on the face,taking care to avoid the area under the eyes.Leave it on for 10 minutes and wash off with cool water.Banana is excellent to do away with the dead skin that makes your skin look lifeless.Regular use gives your skin a healthy glow.
- Home-made Moisturizer For Combination Skin: Take three to four tablespoons of ripe de-seeded papaya pulp.Mash well cool it in the refrigerator.Apply on the face and leave on for 10 to 15 minutes.Wash off with cool water.Papaya helps normalize combination skin and gives it a healthy glow.
- Home-made Moisturizer For Oily Skin: Splash cold water on your face three to four times a day.Cold water will not only leave you feeling refreshed but will also help tighten the pores.Fuller’s earth or Multani mitti mask is an excellent face pack for oily skin.
Shivani Dutta had an important presentation at work,and her boss had stressed that it was important for the company to bag the project.A couple of hours before the presentation,she began to feel nervous and anxious.She started trembling and had sweaty palms accompanied by palpitations.Shivani thought she was having a heart attack.She was rushed to a nearby hospital,where they told her that she just had a panic attack.
What is a Panic Attack?
A panic attack can last from minutes to hours and is usually bought on by a person feeling out of control or wanting to escape from a situation that is stressful.The symptoms are: the person feels head-ache and may experience nausea,dizziness,chest pains and hyperventilation. Although,it is not really a medical condition,if it is left unaddressed it could lead to a panic disorder.
What to do in case of a Panic Attack?
A person suffering a panic attack should identify the negative thought,challenge it , and replace it with a realistic thought.A therapist or a counselor can work with her to identify the triggers by going over her life and pin-pointing situations that are likely to lead to panic attacks.Once the situation has been identified,the counselor can help her come to terms with it.
The therapist needs to prepare her to face the onset of any future attack by teaching her proper relaxation techniques.She needs to always have a reliable person to reach out and talk to till the feeling passes.Mainly she has to accept the negative feelings,not fight or deny them,and allow the moment to pass.
Yoga: A solution for Panic Attacks
It is a well known fact that yoga soothes anxiety and brings out positive feelings.Meditation brings control over your mind and thoughts,so you can bring a measure of detachment and acceptance to your situation and avoid panic attacks.Pranayama and performing Padmasana and Shavasana regularly also help bring down anxiety levels.
This article emphasizes on how to take care of your skin prior to marriage as marriage preparations are quite stressful.
If you’ve got butterflies in your stomach,it reflects on your face.Add to that,the thought of a probable amiss on your big day,and you’ve got yourself all worked up just before your wedding.What you need is a simple self-care regimen that will ensure you have a radiant glow before your D-Day.
First identify the problem areas.Worried about the venue-booking,guest-house booking,travel plans,all of it? Take a deep breath,close your eyes and relax.Stress can wreak havoc on your complexion.
Tackle it with three-point approach given below:-
- EXERCISE- Try to squeeze in at least 15 minutes of limb stretches and free hand exercises every day.
- RELAXATION- This is related to the frequency of exercise you manage to bring into your daily schedule.Even 15 minutes of body exercise helps your body relax.
- DIET- Apart from a nutritionally sound diet, you must try to increase your milk intake.It’s very good for healthy glowing skin and lustrous hair.
You must invest time and effort in a sound skin care plan. The results will show.If your skin erupts in pimples and acne,consult a dermatologist.
Follow the following steps in your skin-care regimen and dazzle at your wedding:
- Cleanse your skin frequently during the day,using a mild face wash.Avoid soap,as it is harsh and further dries the skin.You can take steam once a week.It eases out the seated dirt in the skin pores.
- Apply a face pack twice a week.This helps in exfoliating your skin and makes you look radiant.Our skin renews itself every 24 hours.Using a pack removes dead skin and cleans your skin pores.
- Use a sunscreen daily.Preferably one with an SPF of 30 or above.All your skin care products should be of a reputed brand and in accordance with your skin type.
- Moisturise your skin daily.It hydrates the skin and helps in delaying the onset of wrinkles.
- A mild cleansing lotion,a gentle scrub,an effective toner,a non-oily moisturizer,a make-up remover and under-eye cream must form part of your vanity bag.
- Regular clean ups and facials help in easing the dirt and grime out of the skin’s pores and to deter the onset of wrinkles.
- Make liberal use of cold cream or moisturizer at night to pamper your soles,heels and hands.
- Go for a manicure and pedicure every three weeks.
Home therapies for skin:
- The besan uptan works like magic.Mix two tablespoons of chane ka atta(besan) with a teaspoon of honey,turmeric and a dash of lime.Apply the paste on your face.Leave on to dry and bathe after twenty minutes.
- The juice of watermelon and cucumber is an excellent toner.Aloe vera is ideal for dry skin.Apply as face mask and rinse off after twenty minutes.Multani mitti or Fuller’s Earth tightens the skin.